Wednesday, November 10

Breathe.

My Chemistry professor was shocked and appalled today when she learned that I am taking 3 science courses with labs this quarter. Yes, my first quarter back in school. She and I sat down to figure out what I need to do in order to get a 3.5 in her class. It's within the realm of possibility. She says I have more understanding of the subject than some of those who are scoring higher than I am. She likes my questions and the way I think. It seems like I've always been that way. People think I'm smart. I appear to be intelligent, I ask good questions, I make good connections. I fit right in with the rest of the Nerdhagens. But when it comes to working out problems on paper, I fail miserably. Why?

I noticed this afternoon that when I start getting stressed about a physics or chem problem, I stop breathing. I used to do that at work, too, when I was very stressed. Which used to be all the time, of course. I think breathing is nice, so I'd like to continue the practice of it. Lack of oxygen to the brain is not going to help me get past my remedial algebra level. My algebra book might, if I had time to open it.

No comments: