Wednesday, February 2

Wanna-be-a-Vet-Even-More

Today was better than last Wednesday. Everyone seemed to accept my presence this time, and believe that I am really serious about this. The best thing today was watching the repair of an abomasal displacement. That's when the cow's fourth stomach gets filled with gas due to weakening of the muscle wall, and it kind of floats up out of place above some other stomachs and things, and causes problems, including reduced food intake. This was one seriously skinny cow. Anyway, to fix it, you have to get the cow on her back with her legs straight up in the air. The cow is awake and has just a local anaesthesia, I think. Then you just cut her open, pull out that stomach, stick a tube in it and suck out the gas, and then put it back in and sew her up again. Simple as that! (If only it were as simple as that sounds). I also went along on a farm call today. Like a house call, you know. We were checking out a goat. She probably has CAE, which is an interesting retrovirus. I researched it when I got home but I won't bore you with the details of what it is and does. I saw a couple of tumors removed from dogs... one from a leg and one from a mammary gland. I didn't watch any kitty declaws, because I think they are mean. The kitty that was done just after I arrived this morning managed to get the bandage of one foot when she woke up, and she just went crazy, and was bleeding everywhere. I don't know if you know what it feels like to wake up from general anaesthesia, but the cats and dogs just feel horrible when they wake up, and then to have things wrapped around your feet, and stitches in your tummy, well, it's rather frightening. Not to mention that you are nauseated and don't have any idea where you are, and your body is shaking inexplicably. Poor little creatures.

The things I like the most are like removing tumors, fixing up the cow, stuff like that. Because it is truly necessary, and it helps the animal. Not like declawing. I guess I will have to get used to the idea of declawing.

I also helped euthanize two little schnauzers today. They were really old, and one had a huge tumor on his hind leg. The other apparently was in a lot of pain as well. It's a strange feeling to have a warm, frightened creature in your arms, and to feel the life leave it in just a few seconds. You're left with a warm, motionless bundle, and you almost want to wake it. I managed not to cry. But I did very nearly cry when I watched the dogs being put in the owners' car to be buried at home. Their mama-person was just sitting in the car crying, and it's impossible not to ache for her.

Dr. John asked when I was coming back, and I said that they had only scheduled me for two visits. He said I am completely welcome to come back whenever I want. So, I hope to be there at least once a week from now on. And Dr. John and his wife are going to take me horseback riding next week.

I stopped at home on my way home (Chattaroy on my way to Spokane) and visited, and then here at my own home I worked out and am about to hit the books.

I had such a very good day.

No comments: