Wednesday, January 26

Wanna-be-a-Vet's Life

I thought you'd like to hear about the highlights of my day today:

1) I watched as a poor little white kitten was spayed and then declawed. All four feet were declawed, which means this cat is now completely defenseless against any danger, and will never catch a mouse in her life. Note: If you must get your cat declawed, stick to the front claws, which are the ones that ruin furniture. And then never ever ever let your cat go outside. Do you know how they declaw a cat? They grab the claw with a pair of pliers (pretty much) and tear it out of the toe, basically. And then they glue the hole shut.

2) I became an expert in spaying dogs, as I watched the procedure on a black lab, a st. bernard, and then a great dane. You can really see a lot of detail when you're working on a great dane.

3) I got a hole punched in my finger by a kitten who didn't want an injection and made that very clear.

4) I spent a good deal of time comforting Tipper, a large shepherd mix with an abcessed tooth. They pulled the tooth and drained the pus, but when Tipper woke up there were no pain meds that could comfort her. She would cry less if I held her paw. Finally, after several hours, I had a chance to go sit with her, and she lay her head down on my lap and went to sleep. Poor thing.

5) I watch a male cat get a catheter. Now there's a pleasant little procedure.

6) Here's the best one!! A pregnant mare came in. Two days ago she slipped and fell. Yesterday she had a hard time getting around, and wouldn't come at feeding time. Today she was better but the owner was worried that the baby might have died from the fall. So my favorite vet got to examine the mommy and baby to make sure all was well. This is not so simple as an ultrasound. This means putting on a long plastic glove, and just reaching right up inside that horse to poke the baby around with your hand. Baby kicked, everyone is happy. The foal is due to arrive in about 6 weeks.

If this was just way too much detail for you, well, that's why you're
not the one on the way to vet school!

No comments: