Sunday, December 12

Party of Three

I had a Christmas Party. It was to be an evening of elegant desserts and fine wines. I invited about 20 people, and after all the RSVPs came in I was expecting 8-10. So, all day yesterday I baked. I made Angel Cookies, and then I made the dough for sweet rolls, which later became cream cheese chocolate chip rolls and raspberry cream cheese rolls, and then I made a Red Velvet Cake, and then I made another Red Velvet Cake because the first one just wasn't quite right. Then I made a cheese platter, and I even found a huckleberry riesling. Dessert was to be served just after 7:00. Around 7:30, my first guest, Kristi, arrived. She and I chatted and waited and chatted. At 8:00 we started watching a movie, just for something to do. At 8:20 my sister Katie arrived. And then no one else came! The table was full of beautiful pastries and fruits and nuts and cheese, and it just sat there. Finally, we just started eating. I called my cousins to see if the boys could come over and eat, but they were out, high school dance and stuff.
So, Katie and Kristi and I had a party of three.

It was pretty sad. I mean, we had a nice time, but gosh, how come nobody showed up?

Then today, my mom's friends and my aunt and uncle had to come over and eat the stuff. In my head I could not help thinking of that as a "pity party." They came over to take pity on me.

*sigh*
:-/

No comments: