Monday, November 22

Grandpa on Algebra

I went to the farm yesterday to haul some firewood up to the house. Grandpa and Grandma are both having trouble getting around, and I didn't want them out and about. Afterwards we sat at the table and talked for a while. Grandpa asked me how school's going, and what kind of problems they have me doing. When I replied that my physics course includes a lot of algebra and trigonometry, he shook his head: "that stuff's not fer normal people! I had some algebra when I was in the seventh grade. I couldn't make any sense out of it! Then she explained it to me, and then it was easy. They give you two numbers, and you have to find the 3rd. And it's not addition, or subtraction, or multiplyin', or any o' that-- it's somethin different. I couldn't figure it out at all, but then she explained it to me, and then it was no trouble for me, but that's not for normal people!"

No comments: