Monday, September 13

Raining, Pouring, Snoring

It's cold and grey and rainy. Makes me want to crawl in bed with lots of blankets. I've meant to write more often, but I never seem to be inspired. Even my entry about the chicken is rather dull. If I was allowed one word to characterize the last week or so of my life, it would have to be Lethargy. Not that I haven't done a lot. I went to the Interstate Fair, which was great. I made dinner for a bunch of my sister's friends, and that was fun too. I held a puppy yesterday. I went to the optometrist and learned that my vision is steadily improving. Go figure. I sanded most of the dresser I'm going to paint for my apartment, but then it started raining... we're on day three... and I have to paint outside. My mom and I visited Katie's workplace today -- she has her dreamjob at a children's bookstore. She showed me a small percentage of her favorite books, which took a couple of hours. We also drove by the community college to figure out where my classes are. Fortunately, they're all in a cluster close to the road and the administration building. So that will be easy. But I need to go buy my textbooks... ugh.

On my way home I stopped at the feed store for some new food for the Chicken. Oh, by the way, her name is now Bijou S. Chicken. You have to say it as if you are a creole from Louisiana. Anyway, her wounds are healing nicely now, and I unbound her wing this morning. The bruising is gone, and she seems to be holding it up ok. But she also seems to be getting very skinny. She's eating well, but I guess all her energy is going to healing those wounds, and she needs more calories. So I posed my problem to the guy at the feed store and he gave me 5 pounds of good food that he thinks will help. I hope so. Poor little Bijou. She's such a good girl. Today a big sheet of dead skin sloughed off, all around the big wound. That was very exciting because she has nice healthy skin under it, and new feathers growing. But the wound itself is still quite a crater, and the fat layer and muscle are still exposed. I'm dressing it with vaseline. But my main goal now is to fatter her up. Not to eat, just to be a good fat chicken.


No comments: