Tuesday, August 24

Movin' Out

All my stuff has been stuffed into a large crate and shipped off, hopefully to meet me in Spokane. Today I retrieved the last of my belongings from my office, said some last goodbyes, and now here I am with nothing to do but clean my empty apartment. I'm not particularly motivated to scour the bathroom.

I'm dogsitting. Darwin, the beagle upstairs, misses his Person, who's out of town. Lonely beagles cry. I cry when I'm lonely too. But I don't think the whole neighborhood hears me. Darwin's howling could wake the long dead, so he gets to sleep in my house where he won't be sad. Trouble is, he seems to have insomnia. I'm not sure what's worse -- when he sleeps so soundly his snoring rattles my eardrums, or when he's awake, scratching his ears so vigorously that in the dark I could swear Thumper the rabbit was hammering the floor. Last night Darwin was awake, and so was I. I wanted to skwuck his thrug til all he could wupple is geep. Not a good impulse for a future vet. But hopefully my patients won't beg me to share the pile of couch cushions, pillows, and sleeping bags that I call a bed these days (so they all rolled over and one fell out...). Darwin is truly a sweet and lovable dog. I like him, even if snuffles and snores and thumps all night.

No comments: